Creo Parametric Toolkit Customization
Customers can extend and customize their Creo Parametric solution. Technical Support Services cannot support each unique customization. By following the guidelines in this chapter, you can help to ensure that PTC Technical Support Service can support your customization.
Using the Customization Toolkit
Technical Support Services provide support for Creo Parametric and Creo Simulate customization API only.
Creo Parametric customization API contains following modules please check Product Release Notes for changes in future releases (Reference Documentation)
- Creo Toolkit – API for C and C++ / Interface design is based on ANSI C standard (will be replaced by Creo Object Toolkit API in the future)
- Creo Object Toolkit API for C++ Interface design is based on CPP(C++) and follow strictly the object oriented approach
- J-Link API – Java API
- JAVA OTK API – Newer version of J-Link API. This interface will replace the J-Link API in the future
- VB API- asynchronous API for Visual Basic application or for usage in program scripts VBA in Microsoft Office documents
Requirements for Customization Support
Individuals or groups creating a Creo API applications receive support only if they follow the guidelines described in this chapter.
Following are the requirements for the Creo Parametric API support
Whenever contacting Technical Support, customer must be able to clearly demonstrate why the issue is related to Creo Parametric, and not to the Creo customization application by using an out-of-the-box Creo Parametric installation whenever possible. If this is not feasible, Technical Support may deploy a demo code provided by customer within PTC environment to confirm that the issue is related to the particular API method (or methods). If it is, Technical Support takes the appropriate action, such as providing assistance in finding a workaround, filing a software performance report (SPR).
- Customer has access to, and a deep knowledge about the programming code and all source files of the application where an issue occurs.
- Customer is using supported development environment and compiler (Reference Documentation)
- The developer of the Creo application provides an exact description about the occurrence of the problem and the API or list of APIs where the issue occurs
- The customer (application developer) is responsible to provide the required programming demo code packaged in a module or in a function to Technical Support, where the support engineer can reproduce the issue in PTC environment.
- Programming demo code provided to Technical Support should be reduced to absolutely necessary to demonstrate the issue; in-code comments should explain the programmer’s intent
- In Case that the issue is data related the customer should provide all relevant models required for reproducing the issue.
If the issue is reproducible only in customer environment, Technical Support may refer you to PTC Professional Services or PTC certified Partner for further assistance.
Responses provided by Technical Support may contain code examples which are for demonstration purposes only and are not qualifying to be used in production.
Third Party Toolkit applications support
Technical Support Services is not in the position to support third party applications including start up failures in Creo while using third party plugin. In such cases it is recommended to report the issue to the respective third party application development company
- The third party / Partner Company will investigate the reported issue first and will work with PTC as applicable
- For issues developed by PTC Partner companies please report the issue directly to PTC Partner
Technical Support reserves the right to deny assistance under the following circumstances:
- Customer is not in the possession of valid development license where required
- Use of unsupported APIs – see “API Wizards” online for reference.
- Use of third party tools and libraries where the investigation of the API issue need configurations requiring the installation of additional non PTC related software - especially for the case that the software is not free of charge or additional non - PTC licenses are required. In such cases customer is required to reproduce the issue without any third party APIs or code.
- Modification in the PTC executables files and resources
- Use of applications where there are no source files available or the application is copyright by third-party companies without explicit permission to allow the PTC technical support to maintain these applications
- Issue is within C- or Java language function and not within toolkit functions
- Debugging or investigating problems linked to application workflow, design, or logic.
- “How to” questions related to providing design or workflow functionality advice
- Requests for the creation of programming examples. PTC has no intent to provide examples for every API method or feature. The PTC provides wide range of sample applications with the API installation. The PTC development consider that these examples will cover fully and demonstrate most of the API functionality. Because of the large number of functions, the creation of example for every API method or feature is not possible.
- Requests for Visual Studio / Eclipse IDE project / debug settings or errors encountered in such configurations
Support of End Users
PTC will not provide support to end users. Therefore, end users of Creo API customizations must contact their local CAD administrator or application developer. The CAD administrator (or the application developer) can then contact Technical Support for assistance in resolving any issues related to the Creo Customization API.