You’ve purchased Creo Simulation Live, and now you’re ready to get started. The good news is that, for most people, it won’t take more than 5 minutes to successfully get started with the software. There are basically three things you need to know to get up and running:
- How to retrieve your license file.
- How to configure Creo Parametric to use Creo Simulation Live.
- Where to find more training if you need it.
That’s it. In just a few minutes, you’ll be making design decisions with real-time guidance so you can bring great products to market faster than ever. Here's how to successfully install Creo Simulation Live:
How to Retrieve Your License File for Creo Simulation Live
You should have received your Sales Order Number (SON) in an email from PTC. To obtain your license file, follow these steps:
- Go to support.ptc.com and log in with your PTC.com account and password.
- Click the Manage Licenses icon.
- Under Quick Licensing, type your Sales Order Number, and click Search.
- Follow the steps to select the new products you want to install, specify the MAC address of your license server/computer, and click Install License.
Now go to the kitchen and pour yourself a cup of coffee. By the time you get back to your desk with your piping hot mug of java, your license file should be in your inbox. All you have to do is unzip it into your computer file system.
How to Enable Creo Simulation Live
We are now ready to configure Creo Parametric to enable Creo Simulation Live.
If you’re running Creo Parametric off a license server, simply use FlexNet to add the new license to your system. When users launch Creo Simulation Live, it will be automatically enabled.
If you’re not using a license server, there are a few more steps:
- Navigate to where Creo Parametric is installed on your computer. (If you’re not sure, right click on the icon that you use to launch Creo and select Properties. The folder listed in the Target field is your loadpoint.)
- Double click the reconfigure.exe file. This will launch the PTC Web Installation Assistant dialog box.
- On the Welcome screen, make sure the “Reconfigure existing software” radio button is selected. Click Next.
- On the License Identification screen, use the plus sign and the open icon to browse and select the new license file you just received. Click Next.
- On the Applications to Customize screen, click Customize. Navigate to the Command Configuration tab. Find your Creo Parametric configuration and click Edit. Then, select Creo Simulation Live from the list of Available Licenses and use the right arrow to move it to Selected Licenses.
- Click OK, OK, and Install. When the installation is complete, click Finish.
You are ready to go. Launch Creo and open a part or an assembly. You will see a Live Simulation tab between the Model and Annotate tabs, and the In Graphics toolbar will contain a Simulate icon that allows you to toggle the display of real-time feedback on and off.
Common Installation Concerns
Even though getting started is straightforward, occasionally concerns arise. Here are the most common issues people encounter and how to correct them:
- Nervous bout Hardware. If you’re not sure your system can stand up to the demands of real-time simulation, use this Hardware Check tool to make sure you’re using a supported graphics card.
- Missing Live Simulation tab. Make sure you are using a supported version of Creo Parametric – 4.0 M090, 18.104.22.168, or 22.214.171.124 or newer. Also check your ribbon customizations to ensure you haven’t disabled the tab.
- Menu items on Live Simulation tab grayed out. Either your license wasn’t updated or the license wasn’t added to your session. Open your license file in a text editor to see if Creo Simulation Live is included in the list of products. Re-run the reconfigure app to add Creo Simulation Live to your startup configuration.
If you have any other issues, PTC Technical Support is ready to help.
Where to Go from Here
Ready to experiment with a design change, or even dozens of them? Creo Simulation Live gives you the power to iterate faster and with new levels of confidence—without waiting.
If you need a little help, multiple tutorial videos and demos are available online, and online help can walk you through everything you need to get set up.