Are you designing a mold? Once your model design is established, why reinvent the wheel? With Creo Parametric you can quickly duplicate your model’s surfaces and combine the reverse surface with parting surfaces to form a mold component.
First, create a quilt surface on the reference part. Then, that surface can be used in your mold assembly. Here’s how:
- Select a surface on your model.
- Right-click and select the Tangent Surfaces option. This selects the outer surfaces of the model, as shown below.
Image: The Tangent Surfaces option automatically causes the outer surfaces of the model to be selected.
- Duplicate the selected surface by clicking Flexible Modeling > Move.
- On the Attachment tab, clear the Attach moved geometry checkbox.
- On the Move tab, click Origin Free (Default), and then select a reference coordinate system from the Model Tree.
- On the Move tab, change the Tz (distance) value to zero (0.00). This ensures that the duplicate surface lies exactly on the model.
- Click the green check mark to apply and save the changes.
Now, the new surface can be used in a mold assembly, as shown below.
Image: The duplicate surface can be used easily in a mold assembly.
To see a demonstration of these steps, register for free Learning Exchange credentials.
Keep Up with PTC Creo!
Interested in more tips and tricks, as well as PTC Creo news, customer stories, and more? Subscribe to PTC Express, our e-newsletter, for regular updates.
- Retail and Consumer Products
- Connected Devices
About the Author
I graduated from Ruhr University in Bochum, Germany, with a Master of Arts in American Studies, Japanese, Economics * Started my career in Marketing on the agency side, spending almost 3 years in media planning * Ran Marketing at ITEDO Software GmbH, Germany from 2001-2006 where I first got in touch with the CAD business * Became part of the PTC Marketing organization when ITEDO was acquired by PTC in October 2006 * Currently, I work in PTC Customer Success, focusing on PTC University’s global Marketing program. Last, but not least, I am the mother of 2, enjoy running, riding and rock music among many other things.