Manufacturers are under constant pressure to reduce costs, while improving quality and productivity. However, it’s difficult to extract new or additional value from the shop floor:
- Fragmented infrastructure – and IT systems – can lead the entire enterprise to underperform
- People, assets, and plants can’t act in real-time to correct issues, respond to customer needs, or seize opportunities
- To replace current equipment or systems introduces a significant risk to near-term productivity
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and the Digital Thread
The IIoT (Industry 4.0) goes far beyond incremental change to address the challenges facing manufacturers. Device connectivity and cloud-based data analytics enable a closed-loop, real time Digital Thread that connects people, systems, and equipment inside factories, extending across the supply chain. By leveraging the operational intelligence delivered by the IIoT, manufacturers gain:
- A unified, real-time view into manufacturing operations
- Actionable information for operators, supervisors, and plant managers
- A pathway to prescriptive optimization
PTC’s Solutions for the Factory
PTC is already delivering on the promise of the Digital Thread, as companies like ATI and Airbus have demonstrated with their optimized production operations that leverage the ThingWorx platform.
ThingWorx is a modular, scalable technology platform with a strong heritage in enterprise manufacturing intelligence (EMI). The platform has unmatched performance capabilities for the rapid development of applications and role-based dashboards, backed up by predictive analytics, and machine learning capabilities. PTC’s acquisition of Kepware further extends these capabilities, adding enhanced communications connectivity to industrial automation environments.
On the strength of these offerings, GE, the world’s Digital Industrial Company, has formed a landmark alliance with PTC to leverage the ThingWorx platform. GE’s Brilliant Manufacturing Suite provides critical manufacturing analytics for production efficiency, execution and optimization - transforming operations. In one facility, the joint solution from GE and PTC delivered value within 14 days.