Quickly Convert Existing Physical Products Into 3D CAD Models
Reverse engineering is the process by which engineers create 3D CAD models from actual products by measuring the physical object using 3D scanning technologies, such as coordinate measuring machines (CMM), laser scanners, structured light digitizers or computed tomography. The resulting point ‘point cloud data is the basis for a 3D CAD model.
In practical terms, reverse engineering is a quick way to reuse existing intellectual property. Particularly if you’re staring at a product with no idea how it was made and with the dread certainty that the drawings have disappeared. The ability to reverse engineer gives you a welcome measure of flexibility to use in facing any number of challenges.
With Creo Reverse Engineering Extension (REX), an extension to Creo Parametric, you can create – or recreate – the electronic 3D CAD model of your physical product. And you can do it without spending an enormous amount of time, effort or money. Whether you are reverse engineering from a complex sculpted clay model, or from a scanned engineered mounting plate, Creo REX can help.
Creo Reverse Engineering Extension Features and Benefits
- Create exact virtual replicas of existing physical products
- Increase your company’s ability to reuse existing designs and capitalize on discontinued or hard-to-find designs
- Refine point clouds and quickly fill in gaps, generating precise surfaces automatically from scanned point cloud data
- Simplify the workflow, and minimize the learning curve, by using the same computer-aided design (CAD) program you use to design your products to also reverse engineer a product
- Respond to market needs more effectively by enabling efficient mass customization from a single design