Software-intensive products are transforming our world
Today’s engineering leaders realize that software can be the key to delivering new product offerings and driving continuous product innovation. Software can play a strategic role in controlling costs, achieving customer satisfaction, and creating competitive advantage.
How will you address the complexities of software development and gain the greatest advantage for your company?
Contact PTC to learn how we can help.
Software Drives Product Innovation and Creates Competitive Advantage
Software represents a huge opportunity for transformation and competitive differentiation. Across nearly every industry, from automotive and industrial to aerospace and life sciences, manufacturers are increasingly using software to deliver innovative and feature-rich products. To remain competitive, engineering executives must manage the complexities of a product development environment that now spans mechanical, electrical and software engineering disciplines.
- Success Stories
- Insight & Analysis
Making a Difference
In Automotive: Automatic, intelligent braking systems on many high-end vehicles react in a potential crash situation even if the driver doesn’t.
- Did you know? Cars will require 200-300 million lines of software code in the near future (Source: Frost & Sullivan)
In Aerospace and Defense: Sensors in unmanned aircraft gather surveillance data for the US military.
- Did you know? The Airbus A380 uses almost 1000 software components supplied by more than 40 system and software companies located on 3 different continents (Source: SITA)
In Medical Devices: Software in implantable pacemakers monitors cardiac rhythms in heart patients.
- Did you know? In the last 7 years, 500 medical device recalls were related to software defects and malfunctions (Source: FDA Survey)
Software in products provides many advantages, including the ability to make changes quickly at low cost and the flexibility to provide new functionality to customers, even after the product has shipped. Software also introduces new challenges in product development.
For many manufacturers, the highly iterative and collaborative approach to software development is a completely new and different way of developing products and bringing them to market. To successfully address the challenges of developing software-intensive products, engineering teams need:
- Real-time visibility into product quality, compliance and readiness to accurately predict the impact of changes and make informed decisions.
- Process flexibility to meet unique team needs and enable right-sized processes.
- Process enforcement to drive consistency and ensure quality and auditability.
Explore our solutions to learn more about how PTC enables manufacturers to drive innovation.
Discover the business transformation steps that manufacturers must take to support the development of increasingly complex products, especially "smart" products containing embedded software/electronics. IDC analysts Melinda-Carol Ballou and Amy Rowell conducted research on the complexities of product development for manufacturing firms that utilize embedded software and electronics to make their products smarter and more adaptable to customer needs.
Through the research report and accompanying webcast hosted by PTC featuring IDC’s Melinda Ballou, you can learn about the challenges and best practices to adopt a systems-driven approach to product development.
Aberdeen studied the experiences of 150 companies from June until September 2011 using an online survey and follow up interviews. This report outlines survey respondents with products that include embedded software report that over the last two years, the amount of embedded code in their products has increased by 18%, highlighting the fact that embedded software continues to become an increasingly critical part of product development.
Manufacturers today face a strategic conflict as they develop products that derive a significant amount of functionality and innovation from software. Tech-Clarity surveyed over 100 companies; this report discusses how manufacturers can take advantage of the benefits of a software-intensive product strategy without suffering from the inherent complexity.
Develop and Deliver Software Intensive Products
Your customers demand increasingly innovative products, but market pressures make product development extremely challenging. Engineering leaders like you are looking to Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) solutions to address the growing complexities of developing and delivering software-intensive products. PTC’s industry-leading ALM solutions help software and systems engineers improve process maturity, reduce cycle time, and deliver higher quality, more innovative products to market.
ALM is a continuous process of managing the life of a software application from concept to delivery throughout the entire development process. PTC ALM solutions for engineered products are designed for discrete manufacturers where coordination and collaboration between software and hardware teams is critical.
PTC ALM solutions are optimized for the unique needs of discrete manufacturers. It includes requirements management, software change and configuration management, system model management and test management for:
- Collaboration and Control — manage all software assets from demand to release.
- Productivity & Quality — full lifecycle process automation and enforcement with end-to-end monitoring of progress.
- Reusability — advanced reuse across all development assets, structures and relationships from requirements to models and features to test results to code and built artifacts.
- Transparency — a single source of truth for development, serving up relevant real-time metrics.
- Compliance — proactively address risks while offering built-in compliance and validation.