Automated print queuing for PLM content
The content associated with a particular configuration can include many different kinds of documents that can also vary in printing sizes and formats. For many customers, it is a large manual effort to ensure that all of the content is printed correctly.
But now, printing PTC Windchill content throughout the enterprise has just become easier. With new user defined capabilities and control, PTC Windchill Print Services simplifies the process of printing content from PTC Windchill on printers throughout the enterprise.
Features & Benefits
- Define print job – Define which content is to be sent to which printer.
- Simplified collation – Easily collect the content to be sent to the printer, using standard PTC Windchill mechanisms – e.g. all drawings associated with an assembly.
- Automated job queuing and execution – Print jobs submitted to the system are automatically queued and passed to an available “print worker” when one becomes available.
- Define Printers within PTC Windchill – The PTC Windchill administrator can define printers in PTC Windchill, to enable subsequent use of the printers from the PTC Windchill user interface. The printer definition includes printer name, color support, printer size (e.g. A3), which file types may be printed on this printer, and default scale. Once defined in PTC Windchill, different printer can be designated for use for different data types. For example, JPEG images are to be sent to Printer X.
- Automated drawing size and orientation extraction – When CAD drawings are published with the appropriate PTC Creo Elements/View CAD adapter, the size and orientation of the drawing (e.g. A2) is extracted in order to subsequently send to an appropriate printer (in the appropriate printer mode), when submitted for printing.
- Scalable architecture – The use of “print Workers” which are separate to, but communicate with, the PTC Windchill server provides a flexible environment to address growing printing throughput needs. As desired throughput grows, more print workers can be added to the system.