Automated Routed Systems Design for Wiring and Cable Harnesses
PTC Creo Elements/Direct Cabling is a routed system design tool which unites the electrical and mechanical disciplines to automate the design and manufacture of routed wiring and cable harnesses. You can create cables, harnesses, and bill-of-materials documentation, including completely annotated manufacturing-ready drawings for electrical cables, harness routes, and nail boards.
PTC Creo Elements/Direct Cabling combines electrical and mechanical design data allowing you to fully simulate electromechanical products, design and validate physical harness routing, generate accurate bill-of-materials, and specify connector types and lengths. The result? You can shorten lead times and support late requirement changes without threatening schedules or forcing a complete rework.
- Speed the design of rigid and flexible cabling by reusing MCAD and ECAD system design information
- Easily create manufacturing-ready drawings of cable harness designs, completely annotated with all necessary manufacturing information
- Design, measure and estimate your wire harnesses with PTC Creo Elements/Direct Cabling in 3D using the same tool you use for mechanical design
- Easily accommodate late changes in the harness design process
- Design and route wires and cables dynamically through enclosures, or automatically route through predefined paths
- Define virtual and physical cable channels
- Access an entire electrical library of company-specific components and materials including: wires, cables, fixtures, connectors, electrical properties, location points, assembly directions etc.
- Access a full set of flat cables, complete with twist, fold and split options
- Generate reports to capture manufacturing documentation such as maximum wire length, wire “from-to” lists, calculated bundle diameters and maximum bend radii
- Eliminate errors in connector positioning, cable lengths, and housing considerations by using 3D CAD to fully design and validate complex wire harness assemblies before you produce any physical prototype
- Share electrical and mechanical data and accurate 3D prototypes for design reviews
- Use extensive features for dynamic ribbon cable routing
- Run reports and calculations for electrical, physical, and manufacturing information including minimal cable bend radii, multiple wires on same pin, open wire ends, etc.
- Define and customize company-specific reports and additional design rules
- Automatically generate accurate, associative 2D formboard (nail board) drawings for harness manufacturing
- Automatically create required dimensions
- Move, rotate, and scale cable segments or connectors to improve position or annotation
- Add annotations directly on the harness drawing such as dimensions, tables, wire run-lists, and bills-of-materials
- Add annotations like pin, wire, and connector properties
- Add standard or embedded dimensions of the actual harness length
- Easily connect multi-conductor cables and automatically snap in components with predefined mating points
- Automatically create all required wires based on the imported wire list
- See missing components, unplaced components, connection differences, etc. when importing with intelligent update checks
- Automatically create connections with cable air nets
- Auto-route air nets via pre-defined channels and virtual paths for optimized harness results
- Export cable information back into ECAD systems