Axeda's Vehicle Telematics Is a Scalable Solution Proven To Handle Hundreds of Thousands of Connected Devices
Service providers, insurance carriers and auto manufacturers are racing to connect vehicles using telematics devices to deliver safety related value-added services designed to offer drivers information, protection and lower premiums. These value-added services include:
- Emergency services
- Remote vehicle diagnostics
- Vehicle tracking and recovery
- Safe driver and no-texting services
- Teen driver management
Insurance carriers are using the vehicle telematics data to analyze driving patterns, encourage safe driving practices and reward customers with lower premiums for good driving behavior.
Axeda Machine Cloud and Axeda Vehicle Telematics Solution
With the Axeda Machine Cloud and Axeda Vehicle Telematics Solution, leading system integrators, such as Modus, formerly Walsh Vision, are providing end-to-end solutions for Usage Based Insurance, Fleet Management and Safe Driving. Esurance, one of the world's leading auto insurance carriers, chose Modus to craft and implement a comprehensive and cost-effective usage-based insurance program for its customers.
Esurance and Modus use the Axeda Machine Cloud to collect data from the driver-installed device, monitor driver performance and set insurance policy rates based on data processed and delivered by Axeda. The solution enables them to track speeds, idling time, parking location, distances traveled, hard stops, and more. Drivers that participate in the usage-based insurance initiative can also review their activity in a web browser and visual dashboard.
Axeda's Vehicle Telematics solution is a highly differentiated cloud-based service for connecting to remote OBDII devices and vehicles, managing the vehicle diagnostic and driving behavior data, integrating the data with enterprise systems, and developing new innovative "connected vehicle" applications.
Capabilities that set Axeda's Vehicle Telematics solution apart:
- A reference solution and architecture for fast-time-to-market
- A platform approach with RESTful web services and APIs that enable rapid development of new innovative applications and easy integration with other business systems
- Device flexibility to enable the use of any OBDII device or a mix of devices within a single application. Devices are abstracted from the data management layer and application APIs
- A management console for easy provisioning, configuration, administration, SIM management, device management and vehicle monitoring
- A scalable solution proven to handle hundreds of thousands of devices
- A lower cost of ownership based on world-class cloud infrastructure and services
For rapid implementations, Axeda's vehicle telematics solutions can use a hardware unit/device (data tracker and cellular modem) already certified and available via the Axeda Ready program. Available OBDII devices include Calamp, Danlaw and Xirgo. Alternatively, service providers can work with Axeda to rapidly certify and add new devices to the Axeda Ready device list.
Once the device is configured and provisioned, it collects data defined by the service provider, such as speeds, idling time, parking location, and distances traveled and sends that data to the Axeda AnyDevice Service running in the Axeda Machine Cloud. This data is sent over a cellular network and can be stored and accessed securely in the Axeda cloud or delivered to the service providers back office systems and connected vehicle applications.
Axeda also provides a rich set of APIs (Web Services) to enable insurance carriers to develop their own innovative "connected vehicle" applications, customer dashboards and mobile smart phone or tablet applications. Axeda can also provide data feed services to deliver the data into back-office systems and in-house data repositories.