PTC Academic Program
2011/2012 - RWDC Transportation Getting Started Page
What should my team do to get started?
Step 1: The easiest way to get your team prepared for this challenge is to review the RWDC Transportation Coaches Handbook. The handbook will outline the details for this challenge and what your team is expected complete.
2011/2012 RWDC Transportation Problem Statement - Updated 02/10/2012
2011/2012 RWDC Transportation Coaches Handbook - Updated 02/10/2012
Step 2: As with previous years, the success of a team to solve the given challenge is through the partnership of a mentor. To help your team find a mentor, the RWDC committee has authored a mentor spreadsheet divided by the mentors area of expertise. Please review the spreadsheet and contact a mentor to get started. Contact a mentor as soon as possible.
Step 3: Access PlanetPTC and build networks with fellow team members, review discussion board, blogs, documents and videos.
Step 4: Download the applications that will be used for this years challenge
Step 5: Complete the RWDC Getting Started Course
2011-2012 - RWDC Challenge Resources
- To view videos created with Camtasia, please install the Techsmith Video Codec - http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe
- To view videos recorded with GoToMeeting, please install the GoToMeeting Video Codec - http://www.gotomeeting.com/codec
RWDC Installation Videos - Teams will be using a range of products during this years competition. To assist team with installation procedures, please review the videos below for assistance.
- PTC University - PrecisionLMS
- Windchill Instructional Guide
- RWDC Support Webinar - Utilizing Windchill
- Surface Transportation Challenge and Process Guide
- Concept Phase Overview
- Overview, Sketches, Fuel Calculation Mathcad worksheet, and saving documents to Windchill (~34 minutes)
- Preliminary Phase
- Part 1: Overview of the preliminary design phase, understanding the CAD data from your Design Kit, connecting to your Windchill account in Creo, Save As (preparing to start your design in CAD), and check-in data (~29 minutes)
- Part 2: Starting one of your preliminary designs, designing a Motor Coach body and mirrors (~52 minutes)
- Part 3: Volume & projected cross sectional area calculations from CAD and working with the mathcad Fuel Consumption Refinement Calculator PMPG worksheet (~22 minutes)
- Detail Design Phase
- Part 1: Overview of the detailed design phase (~10 minutes)
- Part 2: Leveraging higher-order analysis using FloEFD.Pro and your Fuel Consumption Refinement Calculator (Mathcad). This video walks user through the detail process of setting up FloEFD Pro and working with the results. (~47 minutes)
- Additional Visualization of your analysis data (~5 minutes)
- Support Webinar - Getting Started - New 02/28/2012
- Support Webinar - Design Process (Part 1) - New 03/02/2012
- Support Webinar - Design Process (Part 2) - New 03/07/2012
Download the RWDC Surface Design Kit. This kit contains all the materials (Baseline assembly including ground and bus chassis, mathcad worksheets, and other resources) for your team to design your motor coach.
- What's in your RWDC Surface Design Kit Video (~6 minutes)
Download the RWDC Surface Competition Scoring Spreadsheet. This scoring rubric will help clarify how your entries will be evaluated by the judges.