Expanded support for Managing Product Options
In this release, Windchill PDMLink introduces support for managing product options for typical assemble-to-order development. With these new capabilities, customers now have a more streamlined approach to manage discrete lists of options for a product line and navigate the product by these option sets.
PDM & Process Solutions
|Product / Module||
PTC Windchill PDMLink
|Product Functional Area||
Product Structure and BOM Management
|User Interface Location|
|Processes, Initiatives, and Best Practices||
Variant Design & Generation
Benefits and Description
Windchill 9.1 introduces support for Product line option sets to help companies manage typical fixed list option sets. These capabilities provide a streamlined approach to define product option codes for a product line, assign option codes to one or more designs, navigate or filter a product structure by option codes and view ProductView representations of filtered product structures.
Business Administrators may easily define and setup Options Set information. A Windchill environment can have one Option Set for each product family managed in the system.
- Each Option set is made up of Windchill attributes
- New option attributes are first created in the Attribute manager
- Option choice codes and description is defined within the Option Set
- Help organize large sets of option attributes with Option Groups to make it easier to navigate large sets of option attributes
- Improve end user understanding of option codes with the option choice descriptions which are displayed as a balloon in the dialog and other interfaces
- Check option choice unique-ness across the set of options with the unique-ness command
- Share option information between development and product Windchill environments with the Import/Export Option command
- To assign an Option set to a Product or Library, select “Register Filter template” under the General submenu in the Product Details page
End users management of Product Options – End users may easily manage a product’s options using common product structure management capabilities.
- End users can navigate and filter a product structure to see which product structure components and assemblies are associated with specific product options
- Using the enhanced Configuration Specification interface, end users can define option combinations to review, save important configurations, and maintain lists of option combinations
- End users create configurable parts to denote locations in the product structure where one or more options exist.
- End users can simply edit option rules directly in the product structure browser, product structure explorer, the edit Bill of Materials and Microsoft Excel import/export interfaces as well.
- Multi-level BOM Compare reports may be used to compare the product structure for sets of product options
- For Product structures associated with ProductView or CAD Documents created with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4, end users will be able to filter option combinations and view the filtered product in ProductView